On The Move
What is On the Move?
It is an 10-week progressive program that incorporates walking, running, and various other cardio exercises such as Zumba, kickboxing, and relays to help families train for a 5K. Each week as you get stronger and can walk/run longer, the length of time that you are walking/running increases. By the end of the 10 weeks you are ready to walk, run, or walk/run the 5K!
Why should I participate?
The goal of On the Move is to help families make physical activity a part of their daily lives and achieve a specific goal—finishing a 5K! For most, this is their first 5K race experience and for many, it is a life-changing experience that involves the entire family.
What if I can’t run?
For some, running is not an option. If you cannot run, walking is always an option. On the Move includes cardio-based activities that do not require running, yet help you increase your stamina so that you can complete the 5K. Many participants find that they are able to complete the race by combining running and walking.
Who can participate in On the Move?
- FitKids360 graduates and their families
- Anyone that has been referred to the FitKids360 class and their families
How long is the program?
- 10 weeks
When/Where does the program meet?
- It meets one night a week at the Kroc Center, 2500 S. Division, Grand Rapids
What happens at each class?
- Various cardio activity such as Zumba, kickboxing, and relays
- Goal setting
- A weekly raffle prize
What do participants receive?
- Free On the Move T-shirt
- Free water bottle
- Free race entry
- Medal upon completion of the race
- Weekly exercise plan to help prepare for the race